Shadow the Hedgehog is Sonic's arch-rival and the infamous black and red Ultimate Lifeform. He was created for the purpose of finding a cure for a deadly neurological disorder called NIDS, which was killing the granddaughter of his creator, Gerald Robotnik. With his speed granted by his rocket shoes, he is able to go toe-to-toe with Sonic. Shadow is your typical lone wolf. Brooding, melancholy, quiet, yet deep down vulnerable.
Shadow is a dark and mysterious hedgehog who does not speak much and tends to be very distant. He is rarely seen spending time around other characters, and is semingly on the edge. Shadow likewise has an irrational hatred for humans due to all the damage they've brought upon him. He is also very violent, attacking other characters simply for touching him, and for getting in the way of his goals.
Shadow can also be very arrogant, believing that no one can surpass his power. His ego is one of the things he has in common with Sonic, which is the main reason why they are rivals and always end up clashing with each other. Shadow's egotistical attitude is backed up from being created as the ultimate life form.
Shadow will achieve his goals at all costs if he believes he's doing the right thing, regardless of how amoral or ruthless it may be. When he didn't fully remember his promise to Maria due to having been shut down in 50 years, Shadow teamed up with Eggman and nearly destroyed earth to make humanity pay for their actions, until he remembered that his promise to her was to help them. He also attempted murder on Cosmo without a second thought, after discovering that she was under mind control of the Metarex.
However, Shadow is more caring than he seems. An infamous moment was sacrificing himself to save humanity despite his grudge against them. Shadow also saved Chris twice, once from the Prison Island that was about to blow up, and the second time from Black Narcissus along with Cosmo. When Molly's own people turned their backs on her, Shadow supported her and stayed by her side. He was also fairly upset when she died, and honored her sacrifice. Likewise, during their partnership, Shadow befriended Rouge the Bat for helping him. In the finale, Shadow also helped Sonic to save the universe and only knocked him unconcious to save his life.alwaysa
- Inhabitant Rings
- Chaos Control
- Chaos Spear
- His memories of Maria
- Losing his inhabitant rings
- Though the design of Shadow the Hedgehog was meant to be a secret until such time SEGA decided to reveal the finalized version, details of the character were leaked when ReSaurus announced they were making figures of Shadow and Rouge, much as they had for the first Adventure title. Ironically, the company went out of business before they could release these figures to the masses.
- Shadow is usually seen to have a missing quill in his "hairstyle" as compared to the games.
- Shadow uses the third least amount of "English" in the Japanese version. Right behind Vector, who uses the second least amount of English, and Charmy, who only used it once.
- At the end of Season 3, Shadow's shadow can be seen placing a rose on Molly's grave. This tells the viewers that Shadow is in fact alive.
- Although Shadow's blood is red in episode 73, it is hinted in the game Shadow the Hedgehog that his blood is actually green due to all members of the Black Arms having green blood. It should be noted, however that the Black Arms had red blood in the Japanese version of the game.
- When Shadow is first shown running, he runs like Sonic rather than himself. This was probably to confuse the audience into thinking it was Sonic instead of Shadow, because at the time he wasn't officially introduced.
- Even though he clearly is more dark natured than Sonic, Shadow was seen tearing up before Sonic was ever seen crying. Shadow shed a tear when he realized Maria's true wish (episode 38) and Sonic cried before he had to part ways with Chris at the end of season 2. Chris was present in each scene and triggered the reason for both hedgehogs to cry.
- Even though Shadow is a dark character, he is seen to show remorse, such as when Tails was protecting Cosmo when Shadow found out she was a spy for the Metarex, Shadow had given him a chance to give up and walk away, even going far that he doesn't want to hurt him. He also stated to Cosmo that its probably better if he doesn't tell her why he's doing it.